Friday, August 7, 2009

On Homeschooling and Socialization

For the life of me, I need to know, why anytime I say I homeschool my children, people say "Make sure you let them go out and play with other children." They make it seem as if I am holding my children captive in a cell in the name of learning, as if we spend all day, everyday in our house. Do people not realize that homeschooling allows more opportunites for socialization?

Case in point, children who attend brick and mortar schools sit in a building from about 9 am - 3 pm. We may choose to do the same on a really cold day but otherwise, we can take a trip to a science or art museum, have a picnic in the park, visit our local zoo, have P.E. at the playground of our choice, etc. The list is endless.

It gets to be annoying at times. My children have more opportunities to socialize with children and adults since we've been homeschooling. We also have more time to visit family. They have a structured curriculum to follow but a flexible schedule makes anything possible. Taking a trip to the grocery store is a learning opportunity and a social experience. You never know who you'll meet.

This also gives us the opportunity to feel safe and know that our children are learning from people who love them and care about their progression. They have wonderful teachers and loving academic coaches :)

We all enjoy this experience. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment