Monday, February 7, 2011

Frugal Valentine Day ideas (for family)

I like to do something special for the children but this year my funds are extremely tight. Usually, I go to the dollar store and grab some cute supplies to make baskets. Our local dollar store has an amazing selection of candied treats, cards and baskets to choose from but this year, I want to do something different.

I decided I will compile a list of fun free or cheap things I can do for V day. Feel free to add to the list if you please.

1. E-cards. This is the easiest idea by far. I send them for birthdays, holidays and just because.

2. Special meals. I cook a feast consisting of favorite foods my children enjoy.

3. Cakes, cookies, pies. This one is self-explanatory. I make and decorate special treats for the family to enjoy.

4. Movie night! I recently won a year of free blu-ray rentals. I am thinking everyone can pick a favorite movie and we can enjoy a wonderful movie night together.

5. Homemade cards. I still enjoy receiving these from the kids. I love to see their drawings and creativity. It's also a fun activity to do as a family.

6. Homemade tees. My good friend iwearyourshirt sent me a box of Simply Screen Stencils left over from a day of advertising. They're inexpensive and easy-to-find in most craft shops. The stencils can be used on shirts, sneakers, bags, etc.

7. Books! People underestimate the power of books. My children enjoy reading and if they didn't, they would be forced to pretend they do anyway. LOL. I enjoy finding age appropriate books in the bargain section of my favorite bookstore or iBooks for my little ladies. Sharing a love of reading is sharing love.

8. Homemade truffles. This one I have been planning to do with my kids for a while. There are a ton of inexpensive recipes using ingredients most of us have just lying around. My girls and I are excited to try one!

9. Take suggestions. I like to ask my girls for input. Sometimes kids have the most wonderfully, cheap ideas. LOL!

10. I'm willing to take suggestions. Share your ideas on inexpensive things you enjoy with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment