Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I thought I was the only one!

I found this on yahoo today and it got me really thinking...

[Today, Wizards All-Star forward Caron Butler(notes), now blogging for NBA.com as "Agent Zero 2.0," dives deeper into the caffeinated murk of his addiction to the "neon-yellow rocket fuel" known as Mountain Dew:

I lost 11 pounds this summer by giving up Mountain Dew. That's right Mountain Dew. A lot of people don't know I'm a Mountain Dew addict so I guess this is my confession.

To try and give this up was crazy for me! I was going through withdrawals. I was in the bed sweating. My wife would turn over in the bed and ask "Are you OK?" Honestly, those first two weeks without The Dew [were] the roughest two weeks of my life. I'm talking headaches, sweats and everything. Before that I drank at least six 12-ounce Mountain Dews a day.

It was so bad at one point that I had to have a cold one right there at the night stand before I went to bed. I had to get the coasters and let it drip a lil' bit and just have it waiting on me. Come 2 a.m., I'd wake up out of my sleep, I'd pop one open and hear the fizz sound ... and just down it! Then I always had to have another one in the morning when I woke up. Before practice I had one too and before games I would knock back two.]

That being said, I recently asked my husband to help me ween myself from Mountain Dew. I noticed the extra "weight" it has added to my middle but also the sluggish feeling I get when there are no more.

I admit, it is my own fault. They had these new flavors and I just HAD to try them. At 3 for $.99 how could I resist? So, I spent the end of my summer and early fall, beckoning for anyone who would to pick me up those Mountain Dew sodas.

*SMH* As I look back, I feel horrible about it because I stopped drinking sodas long ago for this reason. I allowed the new flavors and the excellent price to entice me.

I am currently dealing with the withdrawal pangs but I know I need to get this monkey off my back.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. good luck! I am a sucker for Dr Pepper right now. I actually managed to ween myself somewhat off soda by making that "cup of water" before I can have a soda rule. And I just started incorporating more juice but it is hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been drinking more water lately as well. It is crazy to think soda can have this effect. What is in that stuff? Thanks love. Good luck to you too.

    ReplyDelete